In Downtown News: Las Vegas Club, Rachel’s Kitchen (Updated), The Kick

In Downtown News is a digest of news stories and blog posts about downtown Las Vegas compiled from local, national and international sources. Seen something? Say something:

BEAT-DOWN: The NSFW (for language) video at top, recently shot during an open-mic comedy night at the Beat, is presented here without comment. We don’t want to get involved with what is almost certainly a police matter by now. That being said, we can’t help but wonder: Did anyone save the tinfoil hat?

LEADER OF THE CLUB: Following up on last week’s news that The D’s Derek and Greg Stevens have purchased the Las Vegas Club from Plaza Hotel and Casino owners The Tamares Group, Howard Stutz of the Review-Journal reports that the Stevens brothers aren’t buying as much as you might think. Apparently, the deal is for the building, which contains 400 currently-shuttered hotel rooms, and the real estate it sits on; that is it and that is all. The deal doesn’t include the Las Vegas Club name, the property’s gaming assets or even its player dateabase; in an emailed statement, Derek Stevens said that the deal didn’t need to be approved by Nevada gaming regulators for these reasons. Anyhoo, this purchase gives the House of Stevens complete control of the western entrance to the Fremont Street Experience—remember, they also own 60% of the Golden Gate, right across the street. Maybe they’ll use the opportunity to put something good on the back of that expletive Slotzilla landing platform. Big dumb beige block. How I hate it.

KITCHEN NIGHTMARE: Susan Stapleton of Eater reports that the Rachel’s Kitchen location inside the Ogden has been shut down, following a Southern Nevada Health District inspection whose findings included “a lack of adequate refrigeration, along with 14 additional demerits.” Stapleton notes that this isn’t the Kitchen’s first time running afoul of the SNHD; an October 2014 inspection of the restaurant resulted in 37 demerits. The good news is, once this place reopens, it’ll probably be the safest restaurant in town. They’ll probably boil everything to within an inch of its life, up to and including the napkins.

UPDATE, 9 A.M. AUGUST 18: A representative of Rachel’s Kitchen posted the following to DTLV’s Facebook page.

Rachel’s Kitchen takes the food safety requirements of the Health District very seriously. Due to a malfunction with a kitchen hood and adjacent sandwich prep unit the temperatures at the Ogden began rising, raising concerns about food refrigeration. The SNHD told the restaurant to close until the repairs were made as a safety precaution.

The hood was repaired and our refrigeration system was checked and confirmed that it was working properly.

Food safety and customer safety is our priority, and we appreciate the diligence of the SNHD in the oversight of all restaurants across our valley.

Vegas Seven